Faizabad: Victim says police shielding another cop who also raped her
- PM Modi discusses GST bill with Manmohan, Sonia at 7 RCR; Cong says demands non-political
- Withdraw convocation invite to Narendra Modi: Jamia Millia alumni to VC
- PoK will remain with Pakistan, J&K will remain with India: Farooq Abdullah
- Liquor ban in Bihar: Nitish Kumar's poll promise to women comes at a high cost
- Amarinder Singh appointed as new Punjab Cong President
A 16-year-old girl, who was allegedly raped by a senior sub-inspector in a hotel room in Faizabad on December 12, has alleged that a police inspector had also abused her in the same hotel, but the police was shielding him.
The girl was brought to Faizabad by Maan Singh from neighbouring Ambedkar Nagar district on pretext of recording her statement before Faizabad range DIG. The girl had complained to the DIG that certain persons, one of whom had sexually exploited her, were threatening her to withdraw her complaint.
On December 12, the Faizabad police, acting on information that a girl had been forcibly detained in hotel by a police sub-inspector, raided the hotel late in the night, caught the sub-inspector and rescued the girl.
The girl alleged Singh, who was then posted at Akbarpur police station in Ambedkar Nagar district, had raped her. An FIR was lodged and Singh was arrested.
"During questioning by Faizabad police, I told them that a police inspector, AK Upadhyay, also came to the room at 6 pm and raped me. I read his name plate before he switched off the light. The Faizabad police brushed aside my complaint and said they would take action only against Singh because he was arrested from the spot. Later, in my statement before the magistrate I told him about Upadhyay," the victim said over phone.
Inspector Upadhyay is in-charge of Ayodhya police station in Faizabad. He denied the allegation and said: "I have no idea why the girl is taking my name. Talk with my senior police officers."
Upadhyay, however, said that around seven months back he was posted in Ambedkar Nagar and was in-charge of Akbarpur police station for a month.
Faizabad Senior Superintendent of Police Dharmendra Singh said the investigation so far had shown that Upadhyay did not go to the hotel where the girl was kept. "Upadhyay was present at Saket Degree College in Faizabad between 4 to 8 pm, where a news channel had organised a function. His cellphone location also shows that he was present there."
- Good governance is in actions, not in 'abolishing' religious holidays of minorities
- Respecting sovereignty is the essence of bilateral diplomatic engagement
- Islam doesn’t justify targeting innocent lives in the manner in which it was done in Paris
- Imran Khan is a politician with a sense of personal destiny, and a divine mission
- Game upside down
- Why every patriot should be worried, and, yes, ashamed