Faizabad: Victim says police shielding another cop who also raped her
- Elections 2014 LIVE: 60 pc voting in Bengal till 1 pm; Jaitley slams Rahul over 'ullu' barb
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- Is there a vikas vote? Healthier babies make not a whimper on campaign pitch in Hazaribagh
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
A 16-year-old girl, who was allegedly raped by a senior sub-inspector in a hotel room in Faizabad on December 12, has alleged that a police inspector had also abused her in the same hotel, but the police was shielding him.
The girl was brought to Faizabad by Maan Singh from neighbouring Ambedkar Nagar district on pretext of recording her statement before Faizabad range DIG. The girl had complained to the DIG that certain persons, one of whom had sexually exploited her, were threatening her to withdraw her complaint.
On December 12, the Faizabad police, acting on information that a girl had been forcibly detained in hotel by a police sub-inspector, raided the hotel late in the night, caught the sub-inspector and rescued the girl.
The girl alleged Singh, who was then posted at Akbarpur police station in Ambedkar Nagar district, had raped her. An FIR was lodged and Singh was arrested.
"During questioning by Faizabad police, I told them that a police inspector, AK Upadhyay, also came to the room at 6 pm and raped me. I read his name plate before he switched off the light. The Faizabad police brushed aside my complaint and said they would take action only against Singh because he was arrested from the spot. Later, in my statement before the magistrate I told him about Upadhyay," the victim said over phone.
Inspector Upadhyay is in-charge of Ayodhya police station in Faizabad. He denied the allegation and said: "I have no idea why the girl is taking my name. Talk with my senior police officers."
Upadhyay, however, said that around seven months back he was posted in Ambedkar Nagar and was in-charge of Akbarpur police station for a month.
Faizabad Senior Superintendent of Police Dharmendra Singh said the investigation so far had shown that Upadhyay did not go to the hotel where the girl was kept. "Upadhyay was present at Saket Degree College in Faizabad between 4 to 8 pm, where a news channel had organised a function. His cellphone location also shows that he was present there."
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18