Family, fans, stars come together for Chopra’s final journey
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to the west coast
- AAP defends Rs 20,000 per person dinner with Kejriwal, says it was transparent
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
The final journey of the legendary filmmaker Yash Chopra was no less monumental than his films. On late Sunday evening, his body was brought to Yash Raj Studios, Andheri, from Lilavati Hospital, Bandra, after taking a detour through his Juhu residence.
People from all walks of life came in hordes to the studio where Chopra used to spend most of part of his day ever since it was opened in 2006.
In a fitting tribute to his zest for life and film-making, Amitabh Bachchan pointed out that it was perhaps for the first time in his 40-year-long association that he was seeing Chopra on his back.
On Monday, his body was taken in a procession in an ambulance from YRF Studios to the Pawan Hans Crematorium in Juhu. He was cremated at 3 pm in the presence of friends, family and fans. He is survived by his wife Pamela and two sons, Aditya and Uday.
Shah Rukh Khan, who found Chopra's demise a personal loss, was on his side throughout the journey. He accompanied the body in the ambulance to the studios and stayed there till the cremation. Karan Johar and Uday and Aditya accompanied Yash Chopra on his final journey. Rani Mukerji was also with the Chopra family for the last two days.
The Bachchans, long time friends of the Chopra family, were one of the firsts to arrive. Amitabh came twice, once on Sunday soon after the body was brought to the studios, and then for the funeral with wife Jaya and daughter-in-law Aishwarya Rai Bachchan.
Almost all the actors with whom Chopra had worked made it for the final rites: Dilip Kumar with wife Saira Banu, Shashi Kapoor, Rekha, Sridevi with Boney Kapoor, Katrina Kaif, Preity Zinta, Juhi Chawla, Rishi Kapoor, Kajol, Prem Chopra and Karisma Kapoor.
- Woman murdered, body found in trunk
- Identity politics
- Lack of legal power hampers probe into missing Malaysian Airlines jet
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express