Family, fans, stars come together for Chopra’s final journey
- Rafale deal: India sign agreement with France to acquire 36 fighter jets
- Subrata Roy set to go back to Tihar jail; SC declines to extend parole
- Explained: Restricting Pakistan's access to Indus easier said than done
- MNS-affiliate sets 48-hour deadline for Pakistani artists to leave India
- BJP-BDJS alliance in Kerala on verge of collapse hints leader
The final journey of the legendary filmmaker Yash Chopra was no less monumental than his films. On late Sunday evening, his body was brought to Yash Raj Studios, Andheri, from Lilavati Hospital, Bandra, after taking a detour through his Juhu residence.
People from all walks of life came in hordes to the studio where Chopra used to spend most of part of his day ever since it was opened in 2006.
In a fitting tribute to his zest for life and film-making, Amitabh Bachchan pointed out that it was perhaps for the first time in his 40-year-long association that he was seeing Chopra on his back.
On Monday, his body was taken in a procession in an ambulance from YRF Studios to the Pawan Hans Crematorium in Juhu. He was cremated at 3 pm in the presence of friends, family and fans. He is survived by his wife Pamela and two sons, Aditya and Uday.
Shah Rukh Khan, who found Chopra's demise a personal loss, was on his side throughout the journey. He accompanied the body in the ambulance to the studios and stayed there till the cremation. Karan Johar and Uday and Aditya accompanied Yash Chopra on his final journey. Rani Mukerji was also with the Chopra family for the last two days.
The Bachchans, long time friends of the Chopra family, were one of the firsts to arrive. Amitabh came twice, once on Sunday soon after the body was brought to the studios, and then for the funeral with wife Jaya and daughter-in-law Aishwarya Rai Bachchan.
Almost all the actors with whom Chopra had worked made it for the final rites: Dilip Kumar with wife Saira Banu, Shashi Kapoor, Rekha, Sridevi with Boney Kapoor, Katrina Kaif, Preity Zinta, Juhi Chawla, Rishi Kapoor, Kajol, Prem Chopra and Karisma Kapoor.
- Pakistan and India must get together to isolate the Kashmir issue
- GST is reform long delayed, but there may be good reason not to hurry it through now
- Gau rakshak vs Make in India
- Pope Francis’ message is one that India and Pakistan must hear
- Dengue & chikungunya can be tackled via swift surveillance, sustained controls
- TV channels tossed violent suggestions as casually as a peanut in the mouth