- Obama rules out putting US troops on ground to fight Islamic State
- Heavy rainfall floods Tamil Nadu, rail, road services badly hit; 71 killed so far
- Azam Khan's remarks on Paris attacks spark row, BJP demands action
- French officials identify Belgian national as suspected mastermind
- Awards recognition of talent, they should be cherished: Prez
The appointment of former CBI director Ashwani Kumar as a Governor has ensured that three generations of cops, who have handled the security of the first family of the Congress, are now occupying Raj Bhavans. Uttar Pradesh Governor B L Joshi was part of the security team of Indira Gandhi during which he used to closely monitor the protection ring around her grandchildren, Rahul and Priyanka, who were kids then. Ashwani Kumar came later and was in-charge of the security of Rajiv Gandhi and his wife Sonia. Goa Governor B V Wanchoo served the maximum number of years in the SPG, nearly two decades, first coming in when Rajiv Gandhi was the Prime Minister. He too, in his first stint, was in charge of security of Rahul and Priyanka. He came back to the force and retired from the post of Director of SPG.
Out of Favour
Saturday's decision to shift Bihar Governor Devanand Konwar to Tripura was widely seen as an attempt by the Congress to woo Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, but the party's central leadership has been keeping Konwar at an arm's length long before he developed differences with the JD(U)-BJP combine in the state. Konwar has been seeking an appointment with Congress president Sonia Gandhi for over six months but has not been successful. The Governor then made it a point to attend all ceremonial functions in Delhi where Sonia was also present. While it is not clear why Konwar has fallen out of favour, party insiders say it was not related to his official conduct.
Former Supreme Court judge D K Jain, who took over as chairman of Law Commission of India immediately after his retirement, is not happy with the location of his office. Last year, in order to utilise the vacant office space that the Law Ministry had on two floors of a building on KG Marg, the office of Law Commission had been shifted there. But, Justice Jain is of the view that the office of Law Commission must be housed in a government building and therefore has asked the government to shift it to the Indian Law Institute building opposite the Supreme Court. Meanwhile, former Delhi High Court judge Usha Mehra, who recently gave a report on the lapses by the police and other agencies in the December 16 gangrape in Delhi, is all set to be appointed as a full-time member of the Law Commission. Apart from her, the government is also appointing three other members. But no one has still been finalised for the post of member-secretary, which has been lying vacant since last year.
- Responses to Mumbai, Paris attacks were strikingly different. But India has learnt since
- Tipu Sultan: Revisionist overlook his bigotry, contemporaries saw nothing else
- True successors of Gandhi-Nehru
- Raja-Mandala: The final burial of non-alignment
- Modi in Britain: Beyond a reiteration of good intentions, little was achieved
- The government’s version of the uniform civil code must be debated publicly