Family members vandalise hospital reception
- Pakistan court declares 26/11 accused Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi's detention void
- Chairs broken, MLAs faint in Kerala Assembly as Finance Minister KM Mani presents budget
- ‘Love jihad’ gets a Bengal reply: Bahu lao, Beti bachao, ‘purify’ Muslim brides
- Kolkata Park Street rape victim dies
- LIVE: PM Modi arrives in Sri Lanka; assures visa on arrival for Lankan nationals
Chaos broke out on the premises of the AMRI Hospital where a fire broke out early morning with families of patients vandalising the reception counter aggrieved that no list of the dead and injured was provided.
Hundreds of family members of patients smashed glass panes at the reception and threw away hospital registers.
Some of the patients from the hospital were taken to the state-run SSKM Hospital, the police said.
Fire broke out in a seven-storey hospital building and firemen from 25 engines using ladders smashed sealed windows in the facade of the centrally air-conditioned building to let the smoke escape. Paramedics also rushed to revive patients evacuated out of the critical care units.
With patients trapped in the ICU and ICCU located in the building, 50 patients could be evacuated in trolleys and platform ladders, fire brigade sources said.
As soon as a patient was brought out of the building, families watching in horror rushed to ascertain if they could identify him.
Local residents of Dhakuria area turned out to help the firemen and the Disaster Management Group personnel at the hospital on Gariahat Road South.
Urban Development Minister Firhad Hakim, Fire Services Minister Javed Khan and Commissioner of Kolkata Police R K Pachnanda were supervising rescue operations.