Farmer commits suicide after ‘crop failure’
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Express 5: Lalu's daughter at Ram Kripal's home and another Navy officer killed
Distressed due to poor financial condition following no rainfall in his village, a farmer of Aambalgadh village in Maliya Hatina taluka of Junagadh district allegedly committed suicide by consuming poison on Tuesday.
Popat Hirapara (50) consumed some poisonous substance on his farm on Tuesday morning. A neighbour found him in an unconscious state and rushed him to a government hospital in Maliya Hatina. However, he was declared brought dead.
"Hirapara's son has said in his statement that they could not do farming in the last monsoon due to minimal rain. Due to this the financial position of the family was worsening by the day. Depressed by this, he committed suicide," Maliya Hatina police sub-inspector R M Zala said on Wednesday.
A police officer, who visited the family on Wednesday, told The Indian Express that the family was in financial turmoil since crops had failed for consecutive years. "There is only a small heap of millet stalks in his 12 bigh farm. His family members told us that they could not sow anything else as there was no rain," he said.
Hirapara was father two sons and two daughters. While his elder son used to help him in farming, the younger had migrated to Junagadh city in search of work. All the four children are married.
Maliya Hatina police have registered a case of accidental death and started probe in this connection.
All the eight districts, including Junagadh, in the Saurashtra-Kutch region had received scanty rains in the last monsoon and have been declared drought affected by the Central governent. More than 10 farmers had committed suicide due to similar reasons just after the monsoon.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today