Farmers slam govt policies, stage protest
- Priyanka Gandhi denies report on fighting polls against Modi, says her focus remains Rae Bareli and Amethi
- After Sanjay Baru, former coal secretary Parakh's book embarrasses PM; 'Singh had little political authority'
- Two yrs after townâs first-ever riots, Kosi Kalan shadow hangs large over Mathura
- Fresh FIR against Azam Khan
- Election Live: BJP wants to destroy secular values, only Congress promises secularism, says Sonia Gandhi
Criticising the anti-farmer policies of the Centre and the state government, members of Kirti Kisan Union staged a protest at the Deputy Commissioner's office on Friday.
Hardev Singh Sandhu, president of the Ludhiana wing of the union, said loans of small farmers should be waived. "Our union demands that landlords should not be given panchayat land on lease for farming purposes. Small farmers should be encouraged for this," he added.
Their other demands included free irrigation facilities for small farmers, installation of deep tubewells by the government on their own for small farmers, and a special subsidy on fertilisers and seeds.
- Security men at every step, Shinde keeps ‘safe distance’ from voters, debunks charges
- In Beed, Modi factor dents Munde’s goodwill among Muslims
- Ambareesh campaigns for Nilekani
- Raids on Bellary moneylender yield Rs 8.74 crore cash
- MP faces Amreli villagers’ ire in campaign
- JERC approves sale of solar power at Rs 1.13 per unit