Farmers slam govt policies, stage protest
- Rail Budget 2015: No hike in passenger fares, Prabhu promises modern rail network
- Rail Budget: Ally Shiv Sena not satisfied, but Mulayam says Prabhu has done a 'good job'
- Rail Budget futuristic and passenger centric: PM Modi
- PDP, BJP thrash out differences; all clear for Mufti-Modi meeting tomorrow
- Hummer horror: Senior policeman suspended for secretly meeting Kerala businessman
Criticising the anti-farmer policies of the Centre and the state government, members of Kirti Kisan Union staged a protest at the Deputy Commissioner's office on Friday.
Hardev Singh Sandhu, president of the Ludhiana wing of the union, said loans of small farmers should be waived. "Our union demands that landlords should not be given panchayat land on lease for farming purposes. Small farmers should be encouraged for this," he added.
Their other demands included free irrigation facilities for small farmers, installation of deep tubewells by the government on their own for small farmers, and a special subsidy on fertilisers and seeds.