Farmers to export emu oil, meat soon
- PM Modi, Sri Lankan President inaugurate stadium in Jaffna renovated by India
- IAF inducts first batch of women pilots into its fighter squadron
- Court says of Gulberg massacre victim Ahsan Jafri: His firing angered mob, made them kill
- Ex-Essar employee slams lawyer who, in turn, shows emails to ‘establish link’
- Orlando Shooting: Gunman Omar Mateen talked about violence in 3rd grade
After signing of an MoU by a Hoshiarpur-based farmer with a South African company, on Tuesday, during a seminar on emu farming and rearing, Punjab farmers will soon be able to export emu oil and meat to South African countries.
Gunraj Singh, a former honorary wildlife warden, who has opened a emu farm and first-ever emu eggs hatchery of the state in Naroor village signed the MoU with managing director of SA Emu Oil and Processing Company, Peter Duncan. A processing plant will also soon come up at his farm. Around 150 farmers of Punjab and Himachal Pradesh have already attached themselves with the farm to procure the emus.
In the seminar, farmers were informed there was a huge demand for emu meat, which can be sold for Rs 400 per kg. An adult bird usually weighs between 40 to 45 kg. Its oil and eggs are also very good for health.
Singh, known for his innovative experiments, started his Emu farm around three years back with five pairs of Emus, which he procured from Tamil Nadu. He now owns a farm with 1000 ready-to-sell emu chicks.
What is emu oil?
The emu oil is extracted from the fat in the flightless bird's body.
- No party aspires to radically transform UP. Each wants power for its own sake
- No one can declare that Ishrat, others were ‘terrorists’. That power belongs to the courts
- Indic religions don't believe that theirs the only God. This must not change
- The coaching industry wreaks an enormous social toll. What must be the policy response?
- There is an attempt to portray student activism as mere rabble-rousing
- Willingness to engage with ideas has to come from intellectuals, not political parties