Fashion bloopers on Oscar red carpet
- US stands in strong partnership with India against terrorism: John Kerry
- Police, Army raid north Kashmir's Ladoora village, youth killed
- On terror and Pakistan, meeting of minds with US: Sushma Swaraj
- NCRB data: 25 per cent of children raped were targeted at work by their employers and co-workers
- India, US sign key defence pact to use each other’s bases for repair, supplies
The Academy awards are not just the most important event in the film lovers' calendar but it is also closely watched by the fashion conscious around the world who seek inspiration from the movie stars walking down the red carpet.
While many have acquired fashion icon status with their red carpet choices, there also exist a less fortunate lot who have acquired legendary status for their fashion faux pas.
From Bjork's swan dress to tuxedo worn backwards; they are some of the most memorable Oscar moments, as short-listed by Los Angeles Times.
Icelandic singer Bjork will forever be remembered for her swan dress, which she wore at the 2001 Oscars pairing her dress with an egg-shaped purse. Another singer who made news for the wrong reason was Canadian singer Celine Dion of 'My heart will go on' fame who wore her coat backwards to the ceremony earning the flak of the fashion police.
Many actresses who are now considered fashion icons had their share of fashion bloopers in the past, including Demi Moore who turned up in spandex shorts for the 1989 Academy Award gala.
Gwyneth Paltrow who always wins high points for her red carpet appearances, was a no show at the 2002 show when she tried to impress with her metal jewellery and drab grey dress which highlighted her skinny frame.
Singer Cher known for her outrageous costumes stunned worldwide audiences when she appeared on the Oscar red carpet wearing a hat that looked like a overgrown mohawk.
British actress Helena Bonham Carter made a dishevelled appearance at the 1987 Oscars prompting the fashion police to remark that she seemed to have forgotten to brush her hair before making an appearance.
Leading fashionistas, Academy winning Charlize Theron and Spanish actress Penelope Cruz were termed fashion disasters when they walked the red carpet wearing gowns that had huge bows attached to them.
- Who wants Prevention of Corruption Act amended, and why, is the question
- Maneka Gandhi’s reservations on paternity leave are based on gender stereotypes
- Garbage generation has reached frightening proportions
- Cotton, mustard, two GM debates
- Kashmiris must use fresh methods, free of radical Islam, free of violence
- Kalburgi, Pansare and Dabholkar melded modern sensibilities with tradition