Fasih’s wife gives birth to a girl
- ICC World Twenty20: Sri Lanka end 18-year wait
- Congress alone can counter BJP's "divisive ideology": Manmohan Singh
- Criminal case against Amit Shah, a calculated design: BJP
- Congress, SP, BSP indulging in "WWF-like fights" in UP: Modi
- April 6 Campaign roundup: Mulayam, Mayawati, Kejriwal dreaming of becoming PM, says Kalyan Singh
The wife of Fasih Mehmood, the 28-year-old engineer deported from Saudi Arabia and held by Indian authorities since October 22 this year, has given birth to a daughter.
Nikhat Parveen, 22, had been pregnant when Fasih was picked up from their home in Saudi Arabia. The mother and daughter, who are doing fine, are at Nikhat's home in Patna. The daughter, born on December 3, has been named Ayesha Fasih.
Fasih, who is under arrest, is yet to see her.
For over five months after Fasih was picked up, the family had no information on his whereabouts, except for a phone call he made. Nikhat finally filed a habeas corpus petition in the Supreme Court seeking that the government reveal where her husband was. The only time the family got any information was in June, when Karnataka filed an affidavit in response to this petition. After he was deported, Nikhat has been leading the legal battle against his arrest.
Fasih's brother Sabih Mehmood said the birth of the daughter was a ray of hope for the family. "I am confident that my brother is innocent and it will be proved so," Sabih said.
Fasih, who had been in the custody of the Karnataka police for a few days, returned to Tihar jail three weeks ago. Sources said he was being questioned over the bombings at Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bangalore and the shooting near Delhi's Jama Masjid in 2010.
- Rahul Gandhi admits 'mistake' of losing touch with people in Delhi
- There will be serious consequences if Modi becomes PM: Chidambaram
- Mulayam, Mayawati, Kejriwal dreaming of becoming PM: Kalyan Singh
- Congress alone can counter BJP's “divisive ideology”: Manmohan Singh
- Amit Shah booked for his “revenge” remark
- AAP to concentrate on Nilgiris, Central Chennai, Sivaganga
- Babri Masjid demolition sting: BJP questions timing, asks EC to stop telecast
- Apmaan ka badla lena hoga: Amit Shah in Muzaffarnagar | The Indian Express
- Arvind Kejriwal punched during roadshow in Delhi, AAP supporters thrash attacker
- Sentencing in Shakti Mills gang-rape case likely today, convicts may get death