Fast-track courts, martial arts, task force in MPís crackdown plan
- Mad rush, chaos as Arvind Kejriwal takes local train to woo 'aam aadmi' in Mumbai
- SC defers hearing on Sahara's plea on releasing Subrata Roy
- Presidential delay in mercy petitions: SC won't reconsider verdict
- Lalu loyalist-turned rebel Ram Kripal Yadav joins BJP
- IAF aircraft on standby for missing Malaysian Airlines search ops
For a state that has witnessed 255 gangrapes in the first 10 months of this year, the state government decision to set in motion steps for quick trials of rape and other forms of sexual harassment has come as a welcome move.
Fast-track courts in every district, mandatory medical reports within 24 hours and challan in 15 days were among the decisions taken for speedy trials of sexual crimes in a meeting presided by Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan to review law and order in state on Sunday.
Chouhan said that a special task force will be formed in all districts to prevent sexual harassment and announced Mukhyamantri Nari Samman Puraskar. The recipient of the state-level award for protecting women will get Rs 1 lakh while those in districts will get Rs 50,000 each.
Master trainers will impart martial arts training to girls in schools and colleges and the police, school and education departments have been asked to coordinate the training sessions. Protection to witnesses, close-circuit TV in main squares of all towns, a helpline from January 1 to respond to complaints of harassment were among the other decisions taken at the meeting.
In the first ten months of this year, 2,868 cases were reported from the state. To highlight the law and order situation, the Opposition Congress has already announced protests on Monday and Wednesday.
- Rs 1.28 lakh looted at gunpoint
- Venkaiah Naidu sure of BJP crossing ‘magic figure’ in south India
- AAP candidates truly ‘aam aadmi’: Prithvi Reddy
- Bangalore fund-raiser: Dine with Arvind Kejriwal for Rs 20,000
- AAP sounds Gul Panag about Lok Sabha poll, father says decision soon
- The real high and low: Drunk cop creates ruckus in court, held