Father loses 13-yr-old daughter in gambling, to marry her off to winner
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- Kumar Vishwas files application alleging threat to life from Rahul and Priyanka
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KXIP vs CSK: CSK lose Smith, McCullum after flying start against KXIP
A compulsive gambler in West Bengal's Malda district has fixed the marriage of his 13-year-old daughter with his neighbour — who is two times her age — after losing to him in a marathon gambling session.
The man, a resident of Krishnapur-Buritala village in Malda, was locked in a gambling bout with local youth Sukumar Mandal on December 1. Having lost all that he had, he put his girl at stake, and again lost.
Soon after, the two families started negotiations and the marriage was fixed for January 22. An engagement ceremony was held on December 9, which was attended by villagers and relatives.
The girl, a Class VIII student, stopped attending school after she got engaged.
When contacted, Habibpur Block Development Officer (BDO) Arnab Roy said he had sent a team to the village, bordering Bangladesh, Thursday to get the details.
The team was to meet Friday. The BDO said he also asked members of 'Childline', an NGO dedicated to children's welfare, to be present at the meeting.
Stating that he has informed the district social welfare officer about the incident, the BDO said all out efforts would be made to stop the marriage as child marriage, which is a punishable offence.
He said illiteracy was the reason behind the incident and efforts would be made to make both the families aware about the drawbacks of child marriage.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer