Father sent to gallows for hacking teen daughter after rape bid
- If Land Bill has anything against farmers, I'm ready to change it, says PM Modi
- Essar Leaks: ‘Guests are very important people... Kindly see they are comfortable’
- Mufti to head 25-member cabinet; PM to attend his swearing-in on Sunday
- Economic Survey pegs India's growth at over 8 percent, says inflation easing
- Rail budget missed the opportunity to lay out an agenda for the future, writes Nitish
A lower court in North Dinajpur district of West Bengal on Thursday sent a father to gallows for hacking his 13-year-old daughter after she resisted his attempt to rape her.
Mohammad Islam (37), a resident of Islampur and butcher by profession, killed his daughter when she resisted his attempt to rape her on June 10, 2011. "Judge Subhashis Ghoshal of the fast track court while announcing the quantum of punishment today said the case is rarest of rare and the accused needs to be given an exemplary punishment," said Nanigopal Biswas, the public prosecutor in the case.
"The mother of the victim, Ruksana Khatun, was also attacked and she received sharp cuts in a bid to stop her husband from raping the girl. The mother raised an alarm, which led the villagers to nab Islam. She later registered a complaint with the police," added Biswas. She had demanded death penalty for her husband.
Biswas said in 2008, Islam had raped his daughter when she was 11 years old. "Then Ruksana lodged a complaint against Islam, and he was arrested. But Islam managed to convince her that he was repenting for his act. The wife then withdrew the complaint. At first, Islam was not allowed to enter his village. However, he returned to the village in 2011 and tried to rape his daughter again," said Biswas.