Father sent to gallows for hacking teen daughter after rape bid
- SC stays release of all the seven convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case
- Admiral DK Joshi was disturbed, requested me to accept resignation: AK Antony
- Narendra Modi beats Rahul Gandhi in popularity, says US think tank
- Lok Sabha polls: For Paswan & son, Gujarat 2002 is history for 2014
- Jayanthi scuttled, Moily clears GM crop trials
A lower court in North Dinajpur district of West Bengal on Thursday sent a father to gallows for hacking his 13-year-old daughter after she resisted his attempt to rape her.
Mohammad Islam (37), a resident of Islampur and butcher by profession, killed his daughter when she resisted his attempt to rape her on June 10, 2011. "Judge Subhashis Ghoshal of the fast track court while announcing the quantum of punishment today said the case is rarest of rare and the accused needs to be given an exemplary punishment," said Nanigopal Biswas, the public prosecutor in the case.
"The mother of the victim, Ruksana Khatun, was also attacked and she received sharp cuts in a bid to stop her husband from raping the girl. The mother raised an alarm, which led the villagers to nab Islam. She later registered a complaint with the police," added Biswas. She had demanded death penalty for her husband.
Biswas said in 2008, Islam had raped his daughter when she was 11 years old. "Then Ruksana lodged a complaint against Islam, and he was arrested. But Islam managed to convince her that he was repenting for his act. The wife then withdrew the complaint. At first, Islam was not allowed to enter his village. However, he returned to the village in 2011 and tried to rape his daughter again," said Biswas.
- Fancy numbers: RTO in PCMC earns Rs 8 crore
- Alarm in Ukraine as Putin orders surprise army drills on border
- Arrests made but two sensational murders still unsolved
- Infosys ex-CFO not to contest polls for AAP
- Monsoon, not Manmohan, led to agri growth: Yashwant
- Now, BJP workers to donate blood equal to Modi’s weight