Fatwa against BSP's 'Jai Bhim' slogan
- Cabinet reshuffle: Only PM Modi, Amit Shah know final list
- Alarm bells in valley, much easier for infiltrators to get through
- Priyanka as star campaigner, Congress' hopes might finally be coming alive
- Dhaka hostage siege: Terror reloaded in Bangladesh
- UP Elections 2017: Sensing ‘defeat of some MLAs’, Mulayam orders ‘secret survey’
A leading Islamic seminary has issued a decree declaring the BSP slogan of 'Jai Bhim' as un-Islamic and violative of Shariat.
In the fatwa, the Dar-ul Uloom said that the slogan, invoking Dalit leader Bhimrao Ambedkar, was "against the Islamic law as the religion does not permit such a prayer for anyone except Allah".
The fatwa was issued by chief Mufti Habibur Rehman, Mufti Mehmood and Mufti Zeulislam on Saturday on a query raised by a medico M Mehraj Khan, seminary sources said.
- The export-led growth model needs rethinking
- Even in its hour of tragedy, Bangladesh reveals itself to be a bitterly divided nation
- Raghuram Rajan: Exit governor, enter academic
- Delhi needs a more agile — and more open — policy to engage with Beijing
- In a competitive global economy, India must use regulations strategically
- Dhaka terror attack exposes vulnerability of the state machinery in Bangladesh