Fauja to Punjabi youth: Shun drugs
- 15 security personnel killed as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Rahul compares Modi with Hitler, says Gujarat CM behaves arrogantly
- Missing Malaysia airline: Man travelling on stolen passport identified as Iranian
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
Fauja Singh, the 101-year-old marathon runner, says the youth of Punjab should shun drugs immediately if they want to succeed in their lives.
"I live in Britain and it pains me immensely to see Punjabi youth getting a bad name worldwide for consuming drugs," he told The Indian Express on the sidelines of a function organised to honour him at Arya College, Civil Lines, here on Tuesday.
"Pinni, warm water, a cup of milk at night and two meals a day (dal and chapati) is what keeps me healthy and gives me stamina to run at the age of 101," said the 'Running Baba'. "I do not say that I have never tasted meat but only when I had no other option to eat outside India on tours of various countries. After all, you have to eat something to survive."
Asserting that "now I am a complete vegetarian", he said a person consuming chicken and alcohol could never run because it makes one lethargic.
Singh, who will turn 102 in April this year, started running at 89 "to come out of the trauma of my son's death". He lost his eldest son at a young age and now lives with his younger son in Britain. "Determination to do something and come out of the trauma of my son's death was the only thing that made me run at 89, a number which maximum people do not even reach."
Also known as 'Turbaned Tornado', he feels "happiness is the only diet of an old man which keeps him going". "I never accept myself as an old man and still feel young at heart. If I can, I still want to jump like a 16-year-old and catch the bus," he said. "No rice, curry and other food items with lace and eating pinni 12 months a year is a heavenly diet for the old."
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express