FDI in retail vote: After Lok Sabha win, govt confident of Rajya Sabha numbers
- Modi government softens stand on controversial Land Acquisition Bill, says ready for talks
- Gangster Abu Salem sentenced to life imprisonment in Pradeep Jain murder case
- Went to casino for dinner with family, apologise for my choice of venue: Moin Khan
- Ready to discuss issue of alleged stealing of Petroleum ministry documents: Government
- Salman Khan black buck poaching case: Jodhpur court defers verdict
Khurshid also rejected the Opposition criticism of the SP and BSP for staging walk out after protesting the government's FDI move saying "parties sometimes support with voting and sometimes without voting. Walk-out is very much a part of the Parliamentary system. We should respect those who helped us by noting voting with the Opposition motion."
Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal, who was the first speaker from the government side in Lok Sabha, told reporters that the result was a "victory of democracy".
Sibal also ridiculed Swaraj's contention in the House that that parties having a total of 282 members opposed FDI.
"We donot believe in Sushma's arithmetic. We believe in the arithmetic of democracy".
He said that the Leader of Opposition should show magnanimity and accept graciously if the motion moved by her in the House was negatived. Khurshid also said that one should accept with courage the fact even if some motion brought by one fails.
"If you do not understand my points even after a debate for two days, then people of the country will tell, who was confused," Sibal retorted when asked about Swaraj's remark that Sibal was confused while presenting Government's case during the debate in Lok Sabha.
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla said that it was a defeat of the politics to divide secular parties.
"Unfortunately Communist parties and TMC sat in the lap of BJP. This was an attempt by the BJP to destabilise the government," he added.