FE@CAMPUS MASTERMIND: Response by Jatin Mehra to question for Jan 21-27
- Indonesian military plane crash death toll rises to 74
- Eurogroup turned down Greek bailout extension, says Finnish FinMin Alexander Stubb
- Disappointment creeping in over Modi govt's reform pace: Moody's
- Dholpur Palace: Congress' fresh document says it's a govt property
- Greece will not pay IMF debt on Tuesday: Finance minister
It is a very subjective call first of all, if there is actually a need of austerity in the wake of a global recovery. What may be a boon for capital deficit economies would be a bane for the capital surplus economies. Some might argue that it would be actually counterproductive to be austere if you talk from a strictly economic view as it would lead to some stability in the small run, but would contribute to the job cuts and would contribute further to the slowdown.
(This entry is part of our FE MASTERMIND contest. The views expressed in this article are personal and not that of the newspaper.)