Fearing social stigma, minor rape victim in Sonipat immolates herself
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Social fear haunted a minor rape victim in Sonipat district of Haryana as she set herself on fire late on Friday evening.
The incident comes just weeks later, when the whole country is mourning the death of the 23-year old Delhi gangrape victim, who was raped and brutally beaten by six men in a moving bus.
The girl, who has been admitted to a Rohtak hospital, is 16-years-old and was allegedly raped by her neighbour Rakesh when she was on her way back home from school in the first week of January.
Deputy Superintendent of Police, Sonipat, Balbir Singh, confirmed the victim's age, and said that her mother registered the complaint.
"We got a complaint that a man called Rakesh raped this girl and that is why she burnt herself. The victim is 16 years of age and studies in 10th standard," he said.
The victim's mother told the reporter that Rakesh plotted the kidnapping of her girl by lying to her about her father's sudden illness.
The victim, got inside Rakesh's car and after locking the doors, he revealed his true intentions.
"The man told her that he was lying to her and that her father was fine and then kidnapped her and raped her," the mother said.