Fearing social stigma, minor rape victim in Sonipat immolates herself
- David Headley pardoned, accepted as approver in 26/11 case on conditions
- Salman Khan acquitted of all charges in 2002 hit-and-run case
- Islamic State finance chief Abu Saleh killed in air strike: US
- Salman Khan thanks fans, says 'accept the decision with humility'
- Rajya Sabha washed out for third day over National Herald case
Social fear haunted a minor rape victim in Sonipat district of Haryana as she set herself on fire late on Friday evening.
The incident comes just weeks later, when the whole country is mourning the death of the 23-year old Delhi gangrape victim, who was raped and brutally beaten by six men in a moving bus.
The girl, who has been admitted to a Rohtak hospital, is 16-years-old and was allegedly raped by her neighbour Rakesh when she was on her way back home from school in the first week of January.
Deputy Superintendent of Police, Sonipat, Balbir Singh, confirmed the victim's age, and said that her mother registered the complaint.
"We got a complaint that a man called Rakesh raped this girl and that is why she burnt herself. The victim is 16 years of age and studies in 10th standard," he said.
The victim's mother told the reporter that Rakesh plotted the kidnapping of her girl by lying to her about her father's sudden illness.
The victim, got inside Rakesh's car and after locking the doors, he revealed his true intentions.
- As they reimagine the international role of India and Japan, Modi and Abe are drawn together
- Why post-mortems of this year’s most crucial election are missing the point
- Voters are changing politics. Politicians must reform the civil services
- Pakistan: ‘Double Shahs’ profit from religious Muslims’ alienation from modern banking.
- Bhagwat’s acknowledgement of Babasaheb’s greatness is belated and hypocritical
- Government must ensure the disabilities law reaches out to the most needy