Female foeticide as parents donít want girls raped: Khap
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
A day after Khap leaders in Haryana, led by Jat leader Nafe Singh, decided not to recognise love marriages, which are not attended by the parents of the bride and the groom, another Khap faction on Thursday claimed that female foeticide happens because no parents want their daughter to either get raped or elope to marry against their wishes.
Haryana's Sarvkhap coordinator Om Prakash Dhankar said this at a meeting of khap leaders in Rohtak. The two factions, who are at loggerheads, are holding separate meetings to decide their course of action in wake of the Supreme Court inviting them to put forth their opinions about customs prevailing in the state.
Dhankar, also the president of Dhankar Khap in Haryana, said: "Everybody is worried how to stop female foeticide and how to curb rapes. No law on this earth has ever been able to curb social evils or heinous crimes. Female foeticide prevails, as parents do not want their daughter to grow up and get raped or elope to marry against their wishes." He added, "We will go to the Supreme Court and say that the law should duly recognise Khaps and our customs and give us judicial powers to settle cases."
"... self-styled Khap leaders like Sube Singh and Nafe Singh are miscreants and keep issuing statements like banning chowmein or T-shirts and jeans for girls. We are the legitimate khaps and have the support of all major Khaps," Dhankar said.
"We have constituted a committee of 19 members, including two women, who will appear before the court," he said.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress