Fifth cop held, all 5 dismissed from service
- Maoists kill at least 7 poll officials, seven others in twin attack in Chhattisgarh
- World doesn't trust Modi, says Congress citing British newspaper
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over 'Kargil won by Muslim soldiers' remark
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- Did not get personal with Narendra Modi, says Rahul Gandhi
A day after four constables of Chandigarh Police were arrested for allegedly gangraping a 17-year-old girl multiple times at gunpoint for the past one and a half month, the fifth accused was arrested on Friday. Identified as Anil, the fifth accused was posted with Police Control Room (PCR) branch.
A red-faced Chandigarh Police dismissed all the five accused constables from service. "We have taken stringent action against the accused. All five have been dismissed from service," said SSP Sukhchain Singh Gill.
"Upon filing the chargesheet, we would request the court to fast-track the proceedings of the case. Proper briefing would be given to police personnel on sensitisation and vigilance in order to prevent occurrence of any such incident in future," said IG R P Upadhyaya.
The four accused arrested on Thursday were Akshay, Sunil, Himmat and Jagtar. While Sunil was posted with the Crime Branch, the remaining four were posted with the PCR branch.
In her complaint, the victim has stated that Akshay threatened her to stay in a relationship with him for six months, failing which he allegedly started harassing her. The FIR also states that the accused forcibly took the victim in a PCR van to a secluded place where they gangraped her. When the victim tried to escape before the offence was committed, the accused thrashed her and put a revolver to her head. After gangraping the girl, the FIR reads, the accused used to forcibly give her some pills to swallow. When the victim refused, the accused would threaten her with dire consequences.
Workers of various political parties staged a protest in front of Sector 17 police station on Friday. Many protesters created a ruckus and damaged police property (signboards). Later, around 200 BJP workers marched towards the Police Headquarters in Sector 9 and protested against the Chandigarh Police. A scuffle between the protesters and police personnel broke out. The protesters dispersed from the area after giving a memorandum to the UT SSP demanding justice for the victim.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit