Filmmakers should do self-censorship: Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- Hate speeches: Modi breaks his silence, says petty statements by 'BJP well wishers deviating poll campaign'
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Sharad Pawar attacks Narendra Modi over 'power concentration' in one man
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- Centre calls off trip over China no to Arunachal youth
- How is it our responsibility to stop Modi, ask Faizabadâs Muslims
Rang De Basanti helmer Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra feels that filmmakers should exercise self-censorship while making a film in the nation of culturally diverse population.
The 40-year-old filmmaker's last release Delhi-6 faced criticism for the treatment given to Divya Dutta's character of a female cleaner in the 2009 film.
"Sometimes we filmmaker cross the line in the guise of freedom and creativity. I believe we have to take a call of self-censorship and if there is a law that doesn't mean we have to break it in the name of freedom of expression.
"Rather, we should be responsible to our craft in the nation of diverse cultures and traditions," Mehra said while speaking on the topic of "We: The Offended" at the Centenary Film Festival here.
His debut film Rang De Basanti had also faced stiff resistance from the Indian Defence Ministry due to parts that depicted the use of MiG-21 fighter aircraft.
"I made a film whose turning point was the MIGs crash issue. I was sensitive to that issue because I am from Air Force School and expressing my views on it was inevitable. I knew we were entering in their domain but I didn't make any changes suggested by the ministry," he added.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready