Films, parents to be blamed for minor girls eloping: Court
- Will reach out to 'muslim' brothers, address Ram Temple issue: Modi
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- CJI bars advocate's entry in SC for 6 months for sexual harrassment
- April 22 Campaign roundup: Modi hurls a 'khooni panja' at Cong, says its responsible for 1100 lives in Telangana
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KXIP vs SRH: KXIP beat SRH by 72 runs
A city court has blamed "Bollywood movies" and parents "who do not control the activities of their daughters" for the increase in the number of cases where minor girls elope with their boyfriends, since the girl, who has been "left uncontrolled, is set to tread towards attractive, but not good pastures."
The court's observations came while conviction a youth, who had 'eloped' with a girl below 14 years of age, of kidnapping.
Noting that the evidence showed that the girl had been in touch with the accused over the phone and that she had willingly accompanied the accused to Rajasthan, Additional Sessions Judge Virender Bhat sentenced Bhagwati Prasad, a native Uttarakhand, to period of imprisonment already spent in jail during the trial of the case, and also imposed Rs 1,000 fine on him.
He was arrested in native who was arrested in July 20, 2010.,
"Ex facie, it appears that the convict is not at fault at all but the nuances and technicalities of the law, enshrined in provisions of the IPC, make his action a culpable one. The age of the girl (less than 14 years) is the only factor which inculpates the convict in the present case," the court said.
Prasad, who was the driver of the school bus in which the girl used to travel, was accused of luring the minor from Delhi to Mehndipur Balaji in Rajasthan in 2010.
The court however, said this was a case in which a minor girl had eloped with the boy she loved and it has been established that she had accompanied the accused on her own volition.
The Prosecution said Prasad had kidnapped the minor, a resident of Kapashera, on July 13, 2010, when she had gone to attend her tuition classes. Prasad, in his defence, claimed that he had not lured the girl but had taken her with him after she told him that she was being beaten by her parents and she would consume poison if he did not marry her.
- Satyam scam: ICAI bans four auditors for life
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat