- Karmakar country: Many Dipas of Tripura taking their own leap of faith
- For India in NSG, China to send main negotiator
- No Railway Budget from next financial year, Arun Jaitley accepts Suresh Prabhu's proposal
- J&K: 15 injured in Poonch blast, pilgrims said to be target
- Tavleen Singh writes: Kashmir’s violent ‘children’
Film production moves to newer domains with people from different fields taking up the job.
There comes a time in life when one has to decide that it's now or never," says Ashwin Varde. He was faced with such a deciding moment when Ekta Kapoor offered him the position of the COO at Balaji Motion Pictures. After working on Ragini MMS and other projects, he launched a production company, Ashwin Varde Productions, almost a year ago. Its first production — Naam Hai Boss, a Akshay Kumar-starrer — goes on floors this month. With this, Varde, who started his career as a film journalist, sinks his teeth into filmmaking, something he has been passionate about.
Varde made this transition after working as a journalist for nearly 20 years. Ashvini Yardi, the former programming head of Colors, also took as much time to shift to making movies after being in the television industry for almost 20 years. "After Colors reached the top spot in the television industry, I was thinking of starting something new. When I heard the script of OMG Oh My God!, I really liked it and decided to launch a production house, Grazing Goat Pictures, to make it. Akshay Kumar decided to support me on this," says Yardi.
Unlike them, it was more of an expansion for Amit Chandra, who launched his promo-production company, Trigger Happy, five years ago. His first movie-making association came with Karthik Calling Karthik, for which he was the associate producer. Nearly two years after that, he launched his first film Kismet, Love, Paisa, Dilli, which will release tomorrow.
These three personalities join the rank of new producers, who are growing in numbers. Till the '90s, film production was mainly the domain of certain families — Barjatyas, Chopras, Nadiadwalas, Rawails and Kapoors — with only a few actors like Dharmendra and Shatrughan Sinha having their home production companies. However, the launch of ABCL by Amitabh Bachchan, and Dreamz
- To his successor, and to the PM and the government, Dr Rajan has left valuable messages
- Instead of laptops and books in their hands these children had stones and grenades
- Gau raksha is seen not just as a desire but a duty by PM Modi's core support
- PM Modi has put the onus for whatever happens in Gujarat on Amit Shah
- Prachanda must address Madhesi aspirations and bring relations with India on even keel
- Inflation has dropped by a large magnitude, during Raghuram Rajan’s tenure as RBI gov