- LIVE: Ashutosh, Shazia Ilmi taken away for questioning over clashes with BJP
- I am more qualified for PM post than Narendra Modi: Nitish Kumar
- Ukraine crisis: Crimea sets referendum on whether to join Russia
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
- Mumbai dailies laud Kamat, he denies he paid for the ânewsâ
Film production moves to newer domains with people from different fields taking up the job.
There comes a time in life when one has to decide that it's now or never," says Ashwin Varde. He was faced with such a deciding moment when Ekta Kapoor offered him the position of the COO at Balaji Motion Pictures. After working on Ragini MMS and other projects, he launched a production company, Ashwin Varde Productions, almost a year ago. Its first production — Naam Hai Boss, a Akshay Kumar-starrer — goes on floors this month. With this, Varde, who started his career as a film journalist, sinks his teeth into filmmaking, something he has been passionate about.
Varde made this transition after working as a journalist for nearly 20 years. Ashvini Yardi, the former programming head of Colors, also took as much time to shift to making movies after being in the television industry for almost 20 years. "After Colors reached the top spot in the television industry, I was thinking of starting something new. When I heard the script of OMG Oh My God!, I really liked it and decided to launch a production house, Grazing Goat Pictures, to make it. Akshay Kumar decided to support me on this," says Yardi.
Unlike them, it was more of an expansion for Amit Chandra, who launched his promo-production company, Trigger Happy, five years ago. His first movie-making association came with Karthik Calling Karthik, for which he was the associate producer. Nearly two years after that, he launched his first film Kismet, Love, Paisa, Dilli, which will release tomorrow.
These three personalities join the rank of new producers, who are growing in numbers. Till the '90s, film production was mainly the domain of certain families — Barjatyas, Chopras, Nadiadwalas, Rawails and Kapoors — with only a few actors like Dharmendra and Shatrughan Sinha having their home production companies. However, the launch of ABCL by Amitabh Bachchan, and Dreamz
- No jobs for students of state’s first dairy, fisheries colleges
- Mayor blames contractors for bad roads, says better material to be used now
- New police chief says smooth polls his top priority for now
- Battleground ready, tough fight on cards in Pune
- Gadkari visits PU for cultural event, crowd gets out of control
- Govt vehicle hits two visually impaired students