Finally, Desh Raj walks out of jail
- GST Bill in Rajya Sabha this week, Jaitley to discuss amendments with state finance ministers
- Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio 2016 Olympics participation under threat
- AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan arrested for threatening a woman
- Kin of missing AN-32 passengers, crew: Across the country, they wait for word, hoping and praying
- Kashmir unrest: Of 317 with pellet injuries in action by CRPF, over 50% have been hit in eye
After 56 days of his arrest by the Central Bureau of Investigation, suspended Superintendent of Police (City) Desh Raj walked out of the jail on Friday.
The IPS officer remained silent and did not talk to any of the mediapersons who had lined up outside the jail complex and his residence in Sector 23.
The orders to release the IPS officer were received by the jail authorities soon after two of Desh Raj's friends submitted photocopies of the registration certificates of their cars. "We have given two sureties in the court of Rs 2 lakh each. Two of his friends voluntarily submitted photocopies of the RCs of their cars to get the surety bond," said Vishal Garg Narwana, counsel for Desh Raj.
Walking out of the Model Jail, Burail village, holding an orange notebook, Desh Raj looked calm but confident. He just sat in an SUV, and the car sped off to his residence in Sector 23. He did not talk to any of the mediapersons who were waiting outside the jail complex for him.
A group of journalists waiting outside his residence in Sector 23 were asked by his wife Neelam Singh as to why everyone was there. She then said he would not talk to anyone yet, and went back inside.
The IPS officer was arrested by the CBI sleuths on the night of October 18. He was allegedly caught red-handed taking a bribe from an Inspector with Chandigarh Police, Inspector Anokh Singh.
The Inspector had complained to the CBI on October 12 stating that Desh Raj had demanded Rs 2 lakh as illegal gratification for clearing him in departmental inquiries initiated by the accused. Accepting the first instalment of the graft, Desh Raj was arrested from his residence in Sector 23.
As soon as Desh Raj reached home, he stepped out of the car and told the mediapersons waiting for him, "baad mein baat karenge (we will talk later)", and rushed inside. His wife and other family members who had been anxiously waiting for him greeted him with traditional rituals.
- Kashmir unrest: A to-do list for PM Modi
- Not too late to reverse an ugliness spreading in the name of our sacred cows
- Arvind Kejriwal is uncomfortable with anyone with a mind of his own
- Not just the Arunachal switch but the choice of Sheila Dikshit for the UP are warnings to the BJP
- Gujarat unrest shows while Dalit lives have improved, conflict has increased
- Zakir Naik is ‘protected’ as an Indian citizen but he considers himself a Muslim first