Financial essentials for newly weds
- Day after Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi, Amit Shah condemns politics over surgical strikes
- Prohibition to stay in Bihar: SC stays Patna HC judgment setting aside liquor ban
- US says does not support declaring Pakistan a 'terrorist state'
- Talk on stage at Parrikar event: 200 killed, atom bomb vs atom bomb
- Hurricane Matthew: Haiti death toll rises to 339, deadly storm hits Florida
It is a truth universally acknowledged that money plays a very important role in the success of any marriage. Therefore, a financial plan deserves adequate attention right from the beginning of a married life. The first thing that couples should do after marriage is to check out their financial appetites, preferences and compatibility so that a common road map can be chalked out for their joint future.
There are certain legal processes, which have serious implications on ones financial status which must be undertaken as soon a possible after tying the knot.
Change of Name & address: Your bank and financial institutions need to be informed about your new status and if there is any change in your name or surname or a change in address, it needs to be updated.
Change of Nominee: One needs to change the nominee at various places such as bank accounts, securities, insurance policies and other investment arenas.
A completely new approach to financial planning has to be adopted keeping in view the new responsibilities and roles. Both the partners have to sit down and chalk out a road map by defining the exact earning potential, essential expenditures and then setting goals accordingly. The financial aptitudes of both the partners have to be considered in order to work out a middle path with balanced risks in the investment. The responsibility of monitoring of earnings, expenses and investments has to be divided among the partners so that a tight control is maintained.
In case either has an outstanding loan, the repayment from combined funds has to be planned so as to pay off at the earliest and start afresh. Some long-term as well high-cost financial goals such as vacations abroad and purchase of home or car will necessitate careful planning and disciplined implementation right from the beginning to be realised in time. The goals must be realistic and should cater for a few unseen circumstances that may crop en route.
- Revealing Elena Ferrante’s identity violates her desire for privacy
- Breakdown of LoC ceasefire will make it difficult for army to control infiltration
- Academic publishers suit shows how much they benefitted from intellectual commons
- Lack of unity has prevented Sindhi nationalists from pressuring Islamabad
- India must be prepared to deal with a disease that is growing globally
- Challenge for India’s leaders is to show that strength can be blended with subtlety & deftness