FIR against Ashis Nandy after he says OBCs, SCs, STs most corrupt
- India's naval might on full display off Visakhapatnam coast
- Kerala solar scam: Had freedom to enter Chandy’s house anytime, says Saritha Nair
- Australian national suspected to be IS supporter deported from Delhi airport
- At least 39 dead as Gujarat state transport bus plunges into river
- Cops have a case for new juvenile law: boy who ‘killed 2’
Sociologist Ashis Nandy today kicked up a storm with his remark that "most of the corrupt come from the OBCs, SCs and STs". He immediately came under attack from one and all.
While BSP chief Mayawati demanded his arrest and an end to his participation at the Jaipur Literature Festival where he made the remarks, the SP slammed Nandy for his "casteist bias". LJP chief Ram Vilas Paswan also demanded action against him.
Hours after the remark, an FIR was lodged against Nandy and police said they would look into the matter.
Earlier, participating in a session at the festival, Nandy stunned the audience when he said: "It is a fact that most of the corrupt come from OBCs, SC and STs."
Co-panelists disagreed with him and he was booed by the crowd.
Later in the evening, Nandy tried to clarify his remark and said he had been misunderstood. "I was, in fact, supporting the cause of those who are marginalised and those who are in minority and those who are oppressed. I have spent all my life supporting their causes and will continue doing it."
He said he actually meant that if people from OBC, SC and ST indulge in corruption, it is "corruption indeed" while those from upper castes go scot-free.
Objecting to Nandy's remark, Mayawati demanded that the Congress-led Rajasthan government arrest him immediately. She asked organisers of the festival to stop his participation there.
In a statement, Ram Vilas Paswan sought registration of a case against Nandy under the SC & ST Act. "The remarks of Nandy that people belonging to OBC, SC and ST communities are the most corrupt reflects his mental bankruptcy," he said.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2