FIR against ex-BSP leaders, IPS officer for 2009 arson
- SC stays Teesta Setalvad's arrest till Friday
- Arvind Kejriwal meets PM Modi, raises issue of statehood
- We moved from politics of agitation to politics of hope, says Yogendra Yadav
- After Modi's rap, BJP workers shelve NaMo temple project in Rajkot
- Nitish parades his numbers, Bihar Governor calls Manjhi for floor test
Former BSP leaders Jitendra Singh alias Babloo, Intezar Ahmed Abidi alias Bobby, and IPS officer Harish Kumar, PPS officers BS Garbyal and Baliram Saroj were booked on Tuesday for allegedly burning the car of a Congress leader during the arson at the house of former Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi in July 2009.
The FIR was lodged at Hussainganj police station on the order of Chief Judicial Magistrate Rajesh Upadhyay, following an application was filed by former UPCC general secretary Rajveer Singh. He had approached the court in August 2009 alleging that then BSP MLA Babloo, then BSP leader Bobby, then Additional SP(Lucknow East) Harish Kumar, then Circle Officer(Hazratganj) BS Garbyal, and then Hussainganj Station House Officer Baliram Saroj had burnt his Ambassador car parked outside Joshi's house.
The five accused have been charged for mischief by fire or explosive substance with intent to destroy house, rioting, intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace) and criminal intimidation.
The arson at Joshi's house took place soon after she made an allegedly derogatory remark against then chief minister Mayawati. The case pertaining to arson is pending in the court.