FIR against Union minister Adhir Chowdhary for vanadlism at DM's house
- Supreme Court curtails BCCI's financial powers, independent auditor to scrutinise accounts
- Bhubaneswar hospital fire: More patients succumb to injuries, death toll reaches 24
- Embraer aircraft deal: CBI names defence agent Vipin Khanna as key beneficiary in payoffs FIR
- Scrap English requirement, references that insult India: RSS edu wing to HRD
- US: 500 million pages of sensitive govt record stolen by ex-NSA contractor
West Bengal Police on Friday registered an FIR against Union Minister of State for Railways Adhir Ranjan Chowdhary for allegedly instigating his supporters to vandalise house of Murshidabad District Magistrate Rajiv Kumar.
The police registered the case against the Congress leader , who also represents Murshidabad constituency of Lok Sabha, under Section 156 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC).
According to reports, the video of the attack showed Chowdhury instigating a mob of Congress workers to ransack Kumar's house.
Watched by the minister, Congress workers had went on a rampage vandalising Murshidabad district magistrate's office when the officer declined to accept their memorandum on the alleged custodial death of a party worker.
However, Chowdhary claimed that he was only trying to prevent Congress workers from vandalising the District Magistrate''s residence on Thursday.
"We went to meet DM but he refused to meet. Our workers got angry. It's the DM's employees who turned violent. I was the one who tried to calm things down," Chowdhary had said.
The workers reportedly had smashed flower pots, pulled down a sun shed and hurled brickbats breaking the windscreen of a vehicle as Chowdhury was seen standing on the bonnet of a jeep, apparently trying to pacify the demonstrators, who were on a sit-in to protest the death of the worker after he was allegedly beaten up by police in the lock-up on January 7.
WBPCC president Pradip Bhattacharjee said District Magistrate Rajiv Kumar declined to accept the memorandum and instead asked the ADM to receive it.
- Khurram Parvez jailing appears unjust, against govt’s self-interest in troubled Kashmir
- Under PM Modi, new synergy between India’s economic & foreign policy
- Climate justice must be ingrained in rules of new climate compacts
- Despite his outrageous views, Donald Trump represents hope to many Americans
- One advantage of redefining military action as surgery is that it mobilises rhetoric of health
- SC stand on triple talaq remains to be seen