FIR against Union minister Adhir Chowdhary for vanadlism at DM's house
- Winter session Day 1: Govt talks about misuse of word 'secularism', Sonia raises 'intolerance' debate
- Sheena murder: CBI seeks Interpol help, Peter Mukerjea's custody extended till Nov 30
- PPCC chief Bajwa and Jakhar made to resign as rejig in Punjab Congress imminent
- Constitution Day: The many reasons why the BJP decided to celebrate it
- India-Pakistan series to be played from December 15 in Sri Lanka: Rajiv Shukla
West Bengal Police on Friday registered an FIR against Union Minister of State for Railways Adhir Ranjan Chowdhary for allegedly instigating his supporters to vandalise house of Murshidabad District Magistrate Rajiv Kumar.
The police registered the case against the Congress leader , who also represents Murshidabad constituency of Lok Sabha, under Section 156 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC).
According to reports, the video of the attack showed Chowdhury instigating a mob of Congress workers to ransack Kumar's house.
Watched by the minister, Congress workers had went on a rampage vandalising Murshidabad district magistrate's office when the officer declined to accept their memorandum on the alleged custodial death of a party worker.
However, Chowdhary claimed that he was only trying to prevent Congress workers from vandalising the District Magistrate''s residence on Thursday.
"We went to meet DM but he refused to meet. Our workers got angry. It's the DM's employees who turned violent. I was the one who tried to calm things down," Chowdhary had said.
The workers reportedly had smashed flower pots, pulled down a sun shed and hurled brickbats breaking the windscreen of a vehicle as Chowdhury was seen standing on the bonnet of a jeep, apparently trying to pacify the demonstrators, who were on a sit-in to protest the death of the worker after he was allegedly beaten up by police in the lock-up on January 7.
WBPCC president Pradip Bhattacharjee said District Magistrate Rajiv Kumar declined to accept the memorandum and instead asked the ADM to receive it.
- Why every patriot should be worried, and, yes, ashamed
- Douglass North emphasised institutions when markets were the focus
- ‘Bovine Divine’ controversy lurched between the horrific and the comic
- PM Modi’s achievements abroad appear to cut little ice back home
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?