Fire at Arabian Blues restaurant
- Hang me if I have committed crime, no apology: Modi
- Fifth phase of Lok Sabha elections in 121 seats on Thursday
- April 16 campaign roundup: Narendra Modi in firing line of Gandhis
- N Srinivasan faces serious charges, canât return until probe: Supreme Court
- Kolkata Knight Riders seal opener in comprehensive fashion
A major fire broke out at Arabian Blues, a restaurant on the ground floor of the three-storey Yusuf Building near Crawford Market, at around 5 pm Friday. There were no casualties or injuries.
The fire broke out in the kitchen and spread to the first floor of the building.
It took four fire engines, three water tankers and almost two hours to put out the blaze.
"As the building is in a congested area, firefighgting was a challenge. Also, it does not have safety equipment," said a fire official.
Residents complained of irregularities in construction of the dilapidated building, he said. "We will refer the matter to the ward officer to check modifications."
The ground-plus three structure had commercial units on the first floor and residential ones on the upper floors where over 20 families live, said a civic official.