Fire at Trimuti Heights destroys 49 vehicles, residents evacuated
- GST Bill in Rajya Sabha this week, Jaitley to discuss amendments with state finance ministers
- Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio 2016 Olympics participation under threat
- AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan arrested for threatening a woman
- Kin of missing AN-32 passengers, crew: Across the country, they wait for word, hoping and praying
- Kashmir unrest: Of 317 with pellet injuries in action by CRPF, over 50% have been hit in eye
Around 55 people, including a four-month baby and several senior citizens, were rescued from the six-floor Trimurti Heights in Gujarat Colony, Kothrud, that caught fire in the early hours of Tuesday. The fire that broke out in the basement charring 46 two-wheelers and three four-wheelers in the parking lot and destroying an electronics goods shop on the ground floor sent thick smoke spiralling up creating panic among residents of the building.
The fire brigade said the spread to the parked vehicles and Keyour Electronics Shop on the ground floor. All electronics goods like flat screen television sets, refrigerators and air conditioners were damaged. The compressors of refrigerators caught fire, causing a huge smoke and noise.
Chief fire officer Prashant Ranpise said, "We are not sure of the cause. It may have been caused due to short circuit in the distribution point (DP) box of MSEDCL in the basement. Also, there are chances of mischief as some incidents of anti-social elements setting vehicles on fire have happened in the past. By the time we reached the spot, vehicles in the parking and the electronics shop had caught fire. We have not confirmed whether it was short circuit or whether vehicles were set on fire by some mischievous persons."
Senior police inspector K D Vidhate said the cause of the fire was yet to be confirmed. Vidhate, however, said prima-facie, there is no possibility of mischief.
The fire brigade got a call about 1.30 am an rushed 10 fire tenders, two Branto vehicles and water tankers to the spot. Firemen worked simultaneously to extinguish the fire and rescue residents trapped in the building.
The fire resulted in heavy smoke causing panic among residents. As smoke spread to upper floors, residents woke up from sleep and started screaming for help. Many rushed to the terrace. Firemen rescued them using a ladder.
- The recent violence against Dalits in Gujarat is a fallout of the Sangh Parivar’s diktats on food
- Turkey’s coup reveals the fragile relationship between Islam and democracy
- The Sangh Parivar has furthered the colonial understanding of India’s past
- Better state support and supportive social environment can help independent filmmakers
- Next Door Nepal: Chinese checkers
- Kashmir unrest: A to-do list for PM Modi