Fire breaks out in five-star A’bad hotel
- Malaysian plane crashes off Vietnam coast; 5 Indians on board
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
The five-star hotel, Courtyard Mariott, on Satellite Road in Ahmedabad reportedly caught fire on Friday. However, there was no casualty reported, police said.
The fire department officials said the incident occurred at 9:27am. The fire fighters took nearly two hours to extinguish the flame.
According to fire officials, a duct in the kitchen on the first floor of the hotel caught fire due to short-circuit and later the fire spread to the air conditioner room emitting large smoke outside.
It was the second fire incident in the hotel. In 2011, a major fire had broken out in the hotel following which the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) had sealed the hotel for violating fire safety norms. The civic body removed the seal after a few days when the hotel authorities promised to install fire safety measures.
This time, the AMC served a notice to the hotel in this connection. Additional Chief Fire Officer R J Bhatt said, "Earlier, the hotel was sealed. This time, however, as the fire safety system was found to be in place and in a functional state, no such action has been taken by the fire department."
"The fire officials in consultation with the health department has served a notice to the hotel and a heavy penalty will be served to it on Monday," he said. The hotel authorities could not be contacted despite several attempts.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today