Fire breaks out in five-star A’bad hotel

The five-star hotel, Courtyard Mariott, on Satellite Road in Ahmedabad reportedly caught fire on Friday. However, there was no casualty reported, police said.

The fire department officials said the incident occurred at 9:27am. The fire fighters took nearly two hours to extinguish the flame.

According to fire officials, a duct in the kitchen on the first floor of the hotel caught fire due to short-circuit and later the fire spread to the air conditioner room emitting large smoke outside.

It was the second fire incident in the hotel. In 2011, a major fire had broken out in the hotel following which the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) had sealed the hotel for violating fire safety norms. The civic body removed the seal after a few days when the hotel authorities promised to install fire safety measures.

This time, the AMC served a notice to the hotel in this connection. Additional Chief Fire Officer R J Bhatt said, "Earlier, the hotel was sealed. This time, however, as the fire safety system was found to be in place and in a functional state, no such action has been taken by the fire department."

"The fire officials in consultation with the health department has served a notice to the hotel and a heavy penalty will be served to it on Monday," he said. The hotel authorities could not be contacted despite several attempts.

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views expressed in comments published on indianexpress.com are those of the comment writer's alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Indian Express Group or its staff. Comments are automatically posted live; however, indianexpress.com reserves the right to take it down at any time. We also reserve the right not to publish comments that are abusive, obscene, inflammatory, derogatory or defamatory.