Fire in Ambala shop destroys goods worth Rs 2 crore
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
Ready-made garments worth more than a crore rupees were burnt in a fire that spread in the shop at Nocholson Road, Sadar Bazaar Chowk, Ambala Cantonment late Thursday night.
The adjoining shops were also affected but were saved by their owners reaching in time. Fire tenders of the fire brigade and Air Force controlled the fire after hard labour for about an hour. The cause of fire has not been ascertained so far. Hundreds of people, including the shopkeepers, gathered on the spot and assisted in the extinguishing of the fire.
The fire spread by chance in a ready-made garments shop at around 10.30 in the night. The fire spread so quickly that flames were visible high in the sky. The shop was closed at the time. All the garments stored in the shop were reduced to ashes within half an hour. The police, on receiving the information, reached the spot and sealed the area.
The Deputy Commissioner, Shekhar Vidyarthi, with officials also reached the spot. He ordered an enquiry into the causes of the fire. The shop owner Sumit Madaan said that he suffered a loss of about Rs 2 crore. The adjoining clinic of Dr Ravinder Kumar also developed cracks due to the fire. If the fire had not been controlled in time, there could have been greater loss to the adjoining shops.