Fire in Cuffe Parade building
- Angry Priyanka Gandhi hits back at opponents, says her husband Robert Vadra is being 'maligned'
- Elections 2014 LIVE: UPA will hold together even in defeat, says Sharad Pawar
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- IPL spot fixing: Do you want to probe charges against Srinivasan? SC asks Justice Mudgal panel
- Hate speeches: Modi says petty statements by 'BJP well wishers deviating poll campaign'
A flat on the 19th floor of a residential building in Cuffe Parade was destroyed in a fire in the early hours of Sunday
Fire brigade officials said the fire broke out in the A wing of Jolly Maker Chambers, G D Somani Road. At least eight fire engines, apart from special appliances and ambulances, were pressed into service to douse the grade two fire. No injuries were reported. The fire was brought under control in around six hours, an official said.
"The fire started in flat 1901, which was gutted. We rescued 26 persons from the building, including residents of flat 1901, women and children. While the building had all the fire-safety and fire-fighting mechanisms in place, none of these were in working condition." The official added, "Using special appliances, we evacuated those living on the upper floors, that is 20-23, of the building."
Five days ago, a grade one fire had broken out on the fifth floor of Mittal Tower Building in the same area. "We are conducting regular fire audits in buildings in the area," said Chief Fire Officer Suhas Joshi.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready