Fire in Cuffe Parade building
- Gujjars intensify agitation for job quota, block Delhi-Mumbai rail track
- Video: Mumbai graduate denied job for being Muslim, Minorities Commission seeks explanation from company
- Geelani's 'incomplete' passport application cannot be processed: MEA
- Manish Sisodia launches counter-attack, says AAP govt trying to stop officers' transfer-posting industry
- 'You are the apple of my eye': Osama bin Laden's son's letter to wife
A flat on the 19th floor of a residential building in Cuffe Parade was destroyed in a fire in the early hours of Sunday
Fire brigade officials said the fire broke out in the A wing of Jolly Maker Chambers, G D Somani Road. At least eight fire engines, apart from special appliances and ambulances, were pressed into service to douse the grade two fire. No injuries were reported. The fire was brought under control in around six hours, an official said.
"The fire started in flat 1901, which was gutted. We rescued 26 persons from the building, including residents of flat 1901, women and children. While the building had all the fire-safety and fire-fighting mechanisms in place, none of these were in working condition." The official added, "Using special appliances, we evacuated those living on the upper floors, that is 20-23, of the building."
Five days ago, a grade one fire had broken out on the fifth floor of Mittal Tower Building in the same area. "We are conducting regular fire audits in buildings in the area," said Chief Fire Officer Suhas Joshi.