Fire in Mumbai slum destroys about 150 houses
- Mandate reflects wisdom of Bihar, it's the defeat of intolerance: Nitish Kumar
- Man who helped build brand Modi, propped Nitish Kumar's campaign in Bihar
- Global media finds BJP's debacle in Bihar a setback for Modi
- Nitish to be Bihar CM, Lalu to launch nation-wide stir against Modi
- PM Narendra Modi congratulates Nitish Kumar, who says 'thank you'
Fire broke in the suburbs of Mumbai on Saturday, destroying more than hundred one-room shacks, rendering the families homeless. No causalities and injuries have been reported so far.
The fire broke out in the early hours in one of the houses of Sewri suburb, which later swept through other houses.
Shakeel, a local blamed the fire station for failing to reach the spot on time, which caused more damage.
"We were sleeping when we suddenly saw fire in one of the houses. We tried to douse it but it was in vain and it spread in the neighbouring houses as well. When I called the fire station the fire engines took long to reach the spot, which is why the fire spread even more.
"About 100 to 150 houses have been burnt," he said.
Wisps of smoke rose from the slum as locals rummaged through the ashes, trying to salvage their possessions.
According to local media reports, the cause of the fire was a short circuit but the police have not confirmed any reason so far.
"It is a slum area and there are loose electric wires. However, the reason of the fire cannot be ascertained yet. There are no causalities so far," said P A Dhoke, a senior police official.
Fire brigade officials said it took more than four hours to contain the blaze.
- Bihar has been transformed from the graveyard of revolutions to a source of new hope
- Why is Singapore pushing liberal arts?
- Bihar polls may serve Modi a reminder of why he was voted to power
- Modi, Shah hype, lack of CM candidate, may have scuppered BJP's chances
- Across the aisle: Win or lose, Mr Modi will be on test in Bihar polls
- Reverse Swing: Narendra Modi's governance is a lost opportunity