Firing on Indian vessel: Pak envoy summoned
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR field, Southee makes his IPL debut against CSK
The central government on Monday summoned Pakistan's Deputy High Commissioner Mansoor Ahmed Khan to lodge a strong protest over the firing by Pakistan's Maritime Security Agency on an Indian fishing vessel off the coast of Gujarat on Friday. One fisherman was killed in the incident.
Joint Secretary (Pakistan) in the Ministry of External Affairs summoned Khan and conveyed that the Indian government strongly "condem-ned" "indiscriminate firing on unarmed Indian fishermen."
The government called for a probe and asked that those responsible for the fisherman's death be held accountable. "We have asked that the incident be thoroughly investigated and the result be shared at an early date," official sources said. Khan said it was a matter of "great concern" that such an incident occurred despite Pakistan's "stated desire" for peaceful and cooperative ties with India.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'