First flight takes off from new Kolkata terminal
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
The first commercial flight took off from the new terminal of Kolkata International airport on Wednesday. Air India's Kolkata-London via Delhi flight left the runway at 10 am with 152 passengers on board. Director of Kolkata airport, B P Sharma, said it will take at least two months for the new terminal to be fully operational. "We have fixed March 31 as the target date," he said. "From tomorrow, the process of bringing all other facilities from the old terminals will start, and we believe it will be over in two months," he added. Those who boarded the flight today were quite happy with the facilities at the new terminal. "This terminal is much better. I will say this is world class," said Puja Kedia from Delhi, who took the flight along with husband Saurav and daughter Sia. Suparna Rao from Santiniketan said: "I feel proud of Kolkata now that we have got such an excellent terminal here."