First images of Richard III's potential tomb unveiled

King Richard III
The first images of the tomb where 15th-century King Richard III could finally be laid to rest after his remains were found in a Leicester car park earlier this month have been revealed.

Computer-generated images show the 7 feet long, magnesian limestone tomb that the Richard III Society hopes he well be buried in.

The designs of the potential tomb incorporate the white rose of York and several inscriptions wrought in stone and on a metal plaque, the 'Daily Mail' reported.

It also features the Cross of St Cuthbert, symbolic of his devotion to the Christian faith and Richard's personal emblem, the white boar.

Philippa Langley, who led the society's eventual discovery of the last Plantagenet monarch's remains, commissioned the designs in 2010 before the remains had even been discovered.

However, Leicester Cathedral, where the remains are expected to be re-interred next year, have yet to make a final decision on the tomb's appearance and its exact location.

Some people were left disappointed when a decision was taken not to bury the notorious King's body at a state funeral in Westminster Abbey.

The cathedral is to commission architects for the job on March 12 this year and is expecting to receive draft designs in the summer.

"The tomb design was commissioned by Philippa Langley in September 2010 at the very beginning of the Looking For Richard project," a spokesman for the Richard III Society said.

"It is based on Richard's life, and what was important and meaningful to him, and the design was undertaken by a team of specialists with over 40 years of research into Richard III, the spokesman said.

The designs, according to the society, would cost around 30,000 pounds to implement, which the society hopes will be met through donations.

The society said 65 per cent of the costs had already been met for the tomb, which would take four months to construct.

The centuries-old mystery of what happened to the body of Richard III was answered earlier this months when scientists from Leicester university confirmed the remains were those of the king.

Tests have revealed how appallingly the King was treated in death after defeat at the hands of Henry VII at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485.

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writer's alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Indian Express Group or its staff. Comments are automatically posted live; however, reserves the right to take it down at any time. We also reserve the right not to publish comments that are abusive, obscene, inflammatory, derogatory or defamatory.