First phase: 1,218 candidates in fray for 87 seats
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to the west coast
- AAP defends Rs 20,000 per person dinner with Kejriwal, says it was transparent
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
The Election Commission has rejected nominations of as many as 316 candidates for the first phase election to be held on December 13.
Surat topped the list of districts with most rejection as candidature of 66 out of 279 candidates there was cancelled by Monday evening. Surat East constituency, which had the highest number of candidates for the first phase at 44, now has 39.
The commission said in a statement on Tuesday that 1,218 validly nominated candidates remained as on Monday, the date of scrutiny. Officials had said on Saturday, the last date for filing of nominations for phase 1, that 1,534 candidates had filed nominations.
About a dozen district election officers and returning officers consulted by The Indian Express said most of the rejected nominations were of dummy candidates, and a few independents who had not filled in the forms as per the rule.
They also reported that several more candidates had withdrawn their nominations but a consolidated statewide figure remains unknown.
Wednesday is the last day for withdrawal of nominations.
- Woman murdered, body found in trunk
- Identity politics
- Lack of legal power hampers probe into missing Malaysian Airlines jet
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express