First phase: 1,218 candidates in fray for 87 seats
- Kashmir floods LIVE: Many feared dead as houses collapse in Budgam district
- ‘Mukhyamantri ka saala’ is a story of growth in Chhattisgarh
- AAP removes Ramdas as Lokpal, Bhushan from disciplinary panel
- Ahmed Patel, seen and heard like never before
- Retd Lt Gen says will write to Chief about Army role in Hashimpura
The Election Commission has rejected nominations of as many as 316 candidates for the first phase election to be held on December 13.
Surat topped the list of districts with most rejection as candidature of 66 out of 279 candidates there was cancelled by Monday evening. Surat East constituency, which had the highest number of candidates for the first phase at 44, now has 39.
The commission said in a statement on Tuesday that 1,218 validly nominated candidates remained as on Monday, the date of scrutiny. Officials had said on Saturday, the last date for filing of nominations for phase 1, that 1,534 candidates had filed nominations.
About a dozen district election officers and returning officers consulted by The Indian Express said most of the rejected nominations were of dummy candidates, and a few independents who had not filled in the forms as per the rule.
They also reported that several more candidates had withdrawn their nominations but a consolidated statewide figure remains unknown.
Wednesday is the last day for withdrawal of nominations.