Five held with over 700 credit and debit cards
- Malaysian plane crashes off Vietnam coast; 5 Indians on board
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
The Special Operation Group (SOG) here on Thursday arrested five men from Mumbai with 714 suspected fake debit and credit cards from near Amitnagar circle in the city.
Acting on a tip-off, an SOG team stopped a black Honda City car with registration number of Maharashtra around 1 pm and seized 714 debit and credit cards of Indian and international banks.
Those arrested were identified as Nitin Egale, Mazahar ali Saiyad, Satish Manga, Muhammed Mohsin Salmanu and Suraj Dantani, all residents of Mumbai.
"The cards bear monograms of Indian banks but when we verified the numbers on them, it was revealed that these bank accounts were in European countries," SOG police inspector R R Chaudhary said.
"During the interrogation, they said that two men, named Faisal and Abdul, providing them data of bank accounts of foreign nationals and they prepared fake cards accordingly," Chaudhary said.
SOG sources said the five were in Gujarat to use these cards by shopping in a big way in malls. "They had bought mobile phones and clothes from Surat two days ago. Today, they bought some clothes from a well-known mall in the city," Chaudhary said.
"We are trying to find out how the gang got access to bank data. It is quite possible that some foreigners could also be involved in the racket. We are also trying to establish identity of Faisal and Adbul," said city police commissioner Satish Sharma.
Police have seized the car in which the five were travelling.
A laptop, an electronic card system printer, an electronic data capturing machine used for swapping debit and credit cards, a smartphone and a few pair of clothes have also been seized.
Detection of Crime Branch (DCB) of the city police have registered a case of fraud and data theft under Information and Technology Act 2008 against the arrested five. The cyber cell of DCB is investigating the case further.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today