Five low-floor AC buses to hit the road today
- Gujjars intensify agitation for job quota, block Delhi-Mumbai rail track
- Video: Mumbai graduate denied job for being Muslim, Minorities Commission seeks explanation from company
- Geelani's 'incomplete' passport application cannot be processed: MEA
- Manish Sisodia launches counter-attack, says AAP govt trying to stop officers' transfer-posting industry
- 'You are the apple of my eye': Osama bin Laden's son's letter to wife
The much-awaited low-floor AC buses under the JNNURM scheme will take off on Tuesday. UT Advisor Pradip Mehra will flag off five buses from the Secretariat on route number 202; ISBT 43-ISBT-17-Punjab and Haryana High Court at 11 am.
The fare for these new AC buses will be similar to the existing mini AC buses at Rs 10 for five kilometres and Rs 15 above that. As per the Chandigarh Transport Undertaking officials, more buses would be added to the fleet as they reach the CTU workshop. A total of 40 AC buses would operate under the JNNURM scheme.
"Of the 40 buses, five will ply on the city roads tomorrow. The department had earlier planned to inaugurate these special buses in a grand manner, but due to the sudden demise of one of the senior officials of the department — General Manager III and JNNURM Surinder Kumar Dahiya — it will be a low-key affair," said CTU Director M L Sharma.
As per the plans, more buses to be added would be put on one particular route rather than one bus on each route.