Five SOPU, PUSU leaders join NSUI
- Lok Sabha proceedings washed out as Opposition adamant on Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhra Raje's resignation
- BJP counters Congress with ‘sting CD’ on Uttarakhand CM’s aide
- Nitish Kumar to welcome PM Modi, attend programmes too if invited
- Speaker Sumitra Mahajan's warning of 'disciplinary action' irks opposition
- Lt Governor Najeeb Jung calls DCW chief's appointment illegal
Two leaders of the Panjab University Students Union (PUSU) and three of the Students Organisation of Panjab University (SOPU) joined the NSUI in a conference held on Panjab University (PU) campus on Monday.
Jeewanjot Chahal, chairman PUSU, Sanjeev Sharma, President, PUSU, Bhupinder Bhatt, Incharge, SOPU, Manoj Lubana 'Mauji', President, SOPU, Bikram Jatana, Party President, SOPU along with 25 supporters, joined the NSUI.
Sharma was booked under Sections 323, 506, 147 and 148 of IPC, and Mauji had cases under Section 323 and 506 of the IPC against him. Jatana was barred from contesting student elections in 2012 after his alleged involvement in a murder case in Ludhiana.
They all joined the new party in the presence of NSUI National President and National General Secretary Rohit Chaudhary and Gobind Khatra. The son of Union Railway Minister Pawan Bansal, Manish Bansal, was also present in the conference.
Barinder Dhillion, former leader of SOPU, who had joined NSUI on October 11, said that SOPU and PUSU are nothing outside the PU campus. "We want to become leaders in the future so we have joined NSUI. SOPU and PUSU are confined within the PU campus only," added Dhillion.
"If any student is booked while staging a dharna or protest for some case, that does not mean he is a criminal," said Khatra.