Five-yr-old raped, murdered; body found near Vashi home
- Maoists kill at least 7 poll officials, seven others in twin attack in Chhattisgarh
- World doesn't trust Modi, says Congress citing British newspaper
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over 'Kargil won by Muslim soldiers' remark
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- Did not get personal with Narendra Modi, says Rahul Gandhi
Victim had gone missing Tuesday evening.
A five-year-old girl who went missing Tuesday evening was found dead outside her residence in Vashi early Wednesday morning. Medical reports showed that the girl had been raped. Police have detained the watchman of the building where she stayed with family.
APMC police said the victim was a resident of the Om Sai Nivas in Kopri village, Vashi. On Tuesday evening, when her parents returned home from work, they could not find her. The girl's brothers were playing with friends near the building and did not know where she was. Her parents searched for her in the locality, but in vain. They then approached APMC police.
"They returned home around 2.30 am on Wednesday and found her body near their house. The body was sent for post-mortem," said an officer.
Police said the accused may be a resident of the locality as he seemed to know when the victim would be alone. Besides, the body was abandoned near the girl's residence, police said.
"Post-mortem reports confirmed rape. We have registered a case of murder and rape under the Indian Penal Code and sections of Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act. Opinion on cause of death has been withheld pending further examination. However, we suspect that she was strangled," said Navi Mumbai Commissioner of Police A K Sharma.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit