Flights grounded, travel plans in disarray as fog disrupts daily life
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Two convicts get death sentence, life imprisonment for one
- Ban pellet guns in Kashmir, Omar Abdullah-led delegation asks PM Modi
- PM Modi, Afghan President Ghani jointly inaugurate renovated Stor Palace
- AAP doesn't have money to fight election: Kejriwal
- Kicking off UP poll campaign, Mayawati slams BJP-RSS, SP, is soft on Congress
This winter, city residents have experienced heavy fog for eight days in December and three in January.
The presence of fog has, apart from adding to the chill, disrupted the travel plans, with air and rail traffic being disturbed.
"The arrival of the western disturbances brings with it the cold wave and dense fog which surely hinders the daily lives of the people of the city. It is the topography and location of Chandigarh that makes the city prone to fog," said Surender Paul the director of the Meteorological Department.
The visibility during fog reduced to 200 meters or less making it tough for people to travel. Over the past few days, most flights have remained grounded. The trains have also been running behind schedule for several hours. In 2011, the ground clouds completely drained the visibility in Chandigarh for 14 and three days in January and December respectively, whereas in 2010, haze was observed for 26 days in January.
For 10 years, January 2003 has remained the foggiest month so far for being deprived of visibility for 27 days.
The years 2000 and 2001 have had 13 and 19 foggy days in January and 4 and 12 foggy days in December respectively.
Number of foggy days
2003 27 16
2004 20 8
2005 13 2
2006 10 9
2007 7 6
2008 4 10
2009 17 6
2010 26 5
- Farm incomes may not revive despite good monsoon
- India’s new line that Pak will have to pay for cross-border terror was overdue
- Just how did Pakistan become so central to the definition of Indian patriotism?
- Why AAP needs to go back to school
- Next door Nepal: Detente in Kathmandu
- PM's Balochistan policy: Gameplan, gambit or gamble?