Focus On Batters
- AAP manifesto: Jan Lokpal, justice system party's top priority
- Congress Vadodara candidate Madhusudan Mistry arrested for vandalising Modi posters
- Modi wants EC to take action against Sonia, says Cong chief resorting to 'rabid communalism'
- Shakti Mills gangrape convicts repeat offenders, says court; may face death sentence
- Sri Lanka vs West Indies Live Cricket Score: Rain, wind, hail interrupt play
With lack of experience in bowling department post Ajit Agarkar's injury, Mumbai relying on batsmen for Irani tie starting today.
In his first stint as captain of the Mumbai team, Abhishek Nayar has a big task to climb ahead. It was just two days back when Nayar was asked to lead Mumbai after Ajit Agarkar pulled out due to a groin injury and the 29-year-old will now look to stun a star-studded Rest of India side in the Irani Trophy at the Wankhede Stadium. The last time Mumbai won an Irani Trophy was in 1997-98 and since then they've met ROI side six times, without managing to beat them.
Nayar says it will be a big challenge for his side in the coming five days where one will expect good powerful batting displays from both the sides.
"I will be leading Mumbai for the first time at the senior level. It will be a big challenge, but I have people to help me, like Sachin [Tendulkar], Rohit [Sharma] and Ajinkya [Rahane]. Captaincy will be a challenge for sure," Nayar said on the eve of their game.
Having so much experience will certainly come as a big help and Nayar will have some advice coming from the international stars for sure.
"I think with their help, work will become easier. I think I will obviously enjoy it. It does add a bit of pressure. With the help of my teammates, hopefully, we can have a good game," the all-rounder said.
Though the inclusion of Rohit Sharma and Ajinkya Rahane has strengthened the Mumbai batting side, it will be the inexperienced bowling side that will have to bowl to the likes of Virender Sehwag, Shikhar Dhawan, Murali Vijay, Suresh Raina and Manoj Tiwary. Mumbai can breathe a sigh of relief when they bat but they will require someone to stand and deliver with the ball. The hosts will rest their hopes on Dhawal Kulkarni, who is the most experienced of the lot. Whereas their two pacers Javed Khan and Shardul Thakur have just finished their first season with the Mumbai Ranji side.
- Real science is in small laboratories: Prof Rao
- Unguarded and unkempt, vacant govt houses cry for attention
- Won’t become a politician, will carry forward husband legacy: Savita Bhatti
- Congress screening panel okays Bansal’s name for Lok Sabha ticket
- Gujarat minister Saurabh Patel may reply to EC notice: ‘I’m related to Ambanis’
- SC exonerates BJP leader Bokhiria in businessman murder case