Football: Blue Stag, Pune FC in semis
- Army said unit was headed for IAF drill, ex-Air Chief says this was due only a month later
- Wary of Muslim âdisapprovalâ, Mamata doesnât meet US envoy
- Telangana bill passage shows country can take difficult decisions: Prime Minister
- The 2012 troop movement investigations
- In city of Taj, American-Indian love story ends in tragedy
Blue Stag, Thundercatz and Pune FC entered the semifinal round of the Guru Teg Bahadur tournament, with two of the three quarterfinal matches going into a tiebreaker.
Kirkeeans drew first blood in the 22nd minute in the match against Blue Stag, as Joy Sebastian scored a solo goal. However, Vaibhav Sawant equalized quickly for Blue Stag, latching on to a pass from Rohit Ridwa to score in the 28th minute.
In the tiebreaker, Blue Stag started badly, as Vijay Sallu missed the first penalty. However, they soon recovered from the minor setback as Waseem Shaik, Sohrab Sukhu, Rohit Ridwa and Kunal Ghosan scored their spot-kicks. At the other end, Jordan Smoky and Joy Sebastian missed the last two penalties, which sealed the Kirkeeans' fate.
The match between Thundercatz and City Club was reduced to ten players a side, as Shree Jagtap of City Club and Pankaj Gaikwad of Thundercatz were ejected by the referee for rough play. The teams played out a goalless draw, with neither able to find the net.
In the penalty shootout, Thundercatz scored all their spot-kicks, while Stanislavs Clawrence missed a crucial penalty to give Thundercatz a 5-3 victory. Goalkeeper Varun Jaipal was the hero of the day for Thundercatz, pulling off the decisive save.
Meanwhile, Pune FC relied on a solitary goal from Stephen Charles, who converted a pass from centre-half Riyan Yadgiri.
- What should common man expect when PM’s killers are freed: Rahul on Jayalalithaa’s decision
- Anna Hazare says, I support Mamata Banerjee for her ideas
- The regressive state | The Indian Express
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly