- A person killing people with Quran in his hand is not Muslim, but a terrorist: Aamir Khan at #RNGAwards
- Dubai shuts down part of metro's green line over large fire
- Oceans, cyberworld should not become new theatres of contests: PM Modi
- Financial transactions motive behind Sheena's murder, CBI tells court
- J&K: Army jawan, three terrorists killed in separate encounters
* This refers to 'Delhi gangrape shakes Parliament; Jaya Bachchan breaks down, Sushma Swaraj, others seek death penalty' (IE, December 19). The juridical process for dealing with rape cases should change. At present, our laws may be too slow and lenient. These cases must be dealt with swiftly, and strict punitive measures must be taken against the guilty.
— Sravana Ramachandran
* WOMEN who live in the NCR and feel unsafe have few outlets through which elected officials can hear their concerns. How important do elected representatives and law enforcers consider the opinions of individuals? How can citizens participate in awarding befitting punishment to those who threaten the safety of women in the capital?
— Navreet Kaur Rana
Make no mistake
* BSP leader Mayawati must be hailed for taking a firm stand on reservation in promotion for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in government jobs ('SP isolated as Rajya Sabha clears quota Bill', IE, December 18). It is possible that her strong position helped the Rajya Sabha to pass the bill quickly. A quota for Muslims, as Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav demands, is unlikely to have a political effect. If Yadav is serious about the upliftment of Muslims, he should empower them politically in his party. How many tickets did the SP give Muslims in its recenty declared list of probables for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections?
— S. Faizan Musanna
* THIS refers to 'Against forgetting' (IE, December 19). The proposed national war memorial should be built on the banks of the Yamuna in Delhi. This is an apt location, because it would be close to the memorials of national icons like Mahatma Gandhi, Indira Gandhi and others. Many tourists visit this part of the city. If the memorial is built there, they would have the opportunity to learn about the sacrifices made by our brave men in war. Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit is right to say that building the memorial at India Gate will congest the area, lead to security concerns and restrict the freedom of movement.
- Frequent promulgation of ordinances has more to do with managerial ethos
- Indian peacekeeping abroad: Samantha Power shows some deft diplomacy
- The needs of the time shape the character of the myth- Tipu Sultan
- Raja-Mandala: Japan’s counter to China’s silk road
- It started with Perumal
- Open channels of communication are vital for democracy and governance