For MP cops, no more promotions out of turn
- Mamata Banerjee govt saving those involved in Saradha scam: Rahul Gandhi
- Senior Pakistan journalist Hamid Mir shot at in Karachi
- BJP rubbishes Geelani's claim, calls separatist leader's 'Modi emissary talk' as 'false and mischievous'
- Gadkari says there's casteism in Bihar DNA then retracts by saying he meant 'political' DNA
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs KKR: Another poor start by KKR, lose openers early against DD
"There may have been instances of injustice but they can be rectified by improving the procedure," Raut said. "You don't do away with roads because there are accidents." He said his tenure (3 years, 9 months) was one of the longest, hence so many beneficiaries. The recommendations are made by SPs for districts and DIGs and IGs for ranges; headquarters endorses them. Raut said the policy helped motivate policemen fighting terrorists and Naxals. After Chhattisgarh was carved out, few left-wing extremists remain in MP.
Sources in the police department said it was common for those left out of out-of-turn promotions to register a protest with headquarters. Describing how flawed the policy was, a senior officer who monitored it from headquarters said there were instances when those sending recommendations were totally unaware why they had sent them in the first place, or if at all they had sent them.
RTI activist Ajay Dubey said it was common in MP for policemen to be transferred, posted and promoted for political reasons. Dubey's RTI queries had caused the government an embarrassment in 2008 when it admitted that police officials were transferred and posted on request from politicians. The government said it had received 2,700 political recommendations and acted on 627 of them.