For violations, EO slaps Rs 19-cr fine
- All attempts being made to free soldier in Pakistan captivity: Rajnath Singh
- SC cancels Mohammad Shahabuddin's bail, orders police to take him into custody
- Congress and I stand by PM Narendra Modi: Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes
- Bihar liquor ban: Patna HC strikes down govt's prohibition law, terms it 'illegal'
- LIVE: PM Modi calls second Cabinet Committee on Security meet
Getting tough: Six hotels have been given similar notices to pay their penalties
The Estate Office on Wednesday served a notice on Sindhi Sweets, Sector 17 for paying a penalty to the tune of Rs 19 crores for violations and misuse of their premises under Section 10 of the Chandigarh Estate Rules 2009.
The penalty has been calculated from the date of issuance of the first notice of violation and misuse slapped on the sweet shop. According to officials of the UT estate Office, the building stands resumed and an appeal is pending in the court of the chief administrator.
Now the sweet shop has been given 15 days' time to pay the penalty or remove the violations as per the orders, following which the premises will be liable for sealing by the Estate office.
Other than this, at least half-a-dozen hotels in Sector 35 which were also resumed years ago but still continue to flout bylaws with impunity have also been served similar notices under Section 10 and their penalty amounts also run into crores.
Significantly, this is for the first time that the UT Estate Office has wielded a stick against the traders who occupy resumed commercial properties and continue to violate building bylaws.
There are over 500 buildings in the city, which have been resumed by the Estate Office, but could not be vacated as appeals of the traders are still pending with the authorities concerned.
As per the court directions, the Estate Office cannot get a resumed property vacated till the appeal is settled.
In many such cases, eviction has been pending for more than three decades. Though the Estate Office has resumed the buildings, some traders have stopped using the sites, while others have further violated various building bylaws.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment