Former Vadodara Mayor Vitthalbhai Patel dies at 81
- Pakistan High Commission staffer asked to leave India after leak of sensitive defence documents
- Cyrus Mistry hits back at Tata Group with slew of allegations: Fraudulent transactions, unethical ways
- Tata Sons vs Cyrus: Sebi, govt keep watch, BSE seeks clarification
- Kashmir is a matter for India, Pakistan to sort out: British PM Theresa May
- It's unfortunate, because it has set a terrible precedent: Farhan Akhtar on Johar-MNS deal
Former Vadodara Mayor and Padma Shri-awarded surgeon Vitthalbhai Patel died late Friday night at a private hospital, where he was admitted following a severe heart attack. Patel, 81, is survived by his wife and four daughters. A veteran surgeon, Patel held several important positions and performed some path-breaking heart surgery during his career spanning 45 years.
Patel's funeral procession was taken out from Sanjiv Hospital, which he had set up in 1968, after coming back from the UK, where he received Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS). Over 200 odd people, including city Congress leaders and supporters, joined the procession.
Born into a business family in 1932 in Kheda district's Pandoli village, Patel trained himself as a surgeon and was well-known not just in Vadodara where he mostly practised, but all over India. He was awarded Padma Shri in 1989 for public affairs, socio-medical relief and medical education by the then President, R Venkatraman. He also received Dr B C Roy National Award under socio-medical category in 1985.
- A letter like Cyrus Mistry’s could deepen the credibility crisis of Indian capitalism
- The transgender rights bill dilutes the private member’s bill passed by Rajya Sabha
- Diverse myths around the festival underpin Hinduism’s openness
- Polygamy and gender justice debate is more complicated than it is made out to be
- By brokering for MNS, Devendra Fadnavis has shown himself as a CM afraid of a bully
- Pak PM would do well to study the past before choosing Raheel Sharif’s successor