Fort Hood shooting: US judge orders Muslim suspect be clean shaven
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Vishwas's 'Irani or Pakistani' remark sparks row; Modi attacks Sonia
- RBI: Growth rate to stay under 6 per cent
- Buses go off road in Mumbai as drivers, conductors strike against long duty hours
- Narendra Modi has deep character flaws... wouldâve fought in Varanasi if I knew Hindi: PC
- US visa ban on Narendra Modi to be lifted if he becomes PM: Report
A US military judge says the Army psychiatrist charged in a 2009 shooting rampage must be clean shaven or will be forcibly shaved before his murder trial.
Col. Gregory Gross issued the order today after a hearing to determine whether a federal religious freedom law applies to Major Nidal Hasan's case.
Hasan says he grew his beard because his Muslim faith requires it. Army regulations ban beards.
Gross ruled the defence didn't prove that Hasan is growing a beard for sincere religious reasons.
Hasan faces the death penalty if convicted of 13 counts of premeditated murder in the November 2009 attack on a Texas Army post.
The beard issue has repeatedly caused delays in Hasan's case.
- As campaigning picks up, candidates focus on strength areas of rivals
- 143 restaurants offer 30% discount to voters on April 30
- Auto union strike: Drivers demand Tricity permit
- RO serves Pawan Bansal show-cause notice
- BJP releases ‘chargesheet’ listing 16 Cong ‘scams’
- From mobile apps to post cards to call centres, parties go all out to woo voters